1. Keep garbage cans tightly closed.
2. Keep your basement or storage room floors free of piled boxes or litter. Store things 10 or 12 inches above the floor.
3. Keep your food in closed containers.
4. Screen openings such as windows, doors and ventilators with ¼ inch wire mesh. Keep doors closed when not in use. Close holes around pipes or drains with concrete or sheet metal. Keep floor drains tightly fastened.
5. Outside the home, keep spaces under porches and steps open and clean. Don’t pile wood against the side of the house or garage. Keep lumber or other stored materials off the ground, with space underneath for cleaning.