1. Do mild forms of exercise before bedtime. You may take a short walk after dinner or do some stretching.
2. Read light material. Avoid reading the news that will cause you unnecessary stress or other materials that will activate your brain instead of shutting it off in preparation to bedtime.
3. Slow down all mental and physical activity one hour before hitting the sack.
4. Take a warm, relaxing bath.
5. Wear soft and comfortable sleeping clothes.
6. Listen to soft, pleasant music.
7. Do not eat or drink before sleeping. Indigestion and a heavy stomach will give you difficulty sleeping.
8. Forget about all your worries and problems when you go to bed.
9. Picture a tranquil scene – mountains, the peaceful waves of the beach, etc.